Still more goodies from the trip

Author: Debra  //  Category: Marketing

More things to remember:

  • Meeting and talking to Kristen Christian about Bank Transfer Day. What an amazingly and charming young woman.
  • Breakfast at Google. Best part was one of their managers saying “wait…you do both the design AND the coding? Do you realize how RARE you are!!”

Our organization still stands out as a leader for our on-line experience. We are doing more than 95% of the credit unions represented at the colloquium and are equal to the other 5%. We impressed the Google and Facebook reps.

I met some fabulous people, medic including the amazing young woman behind the Bank Transfer Day, who spoke to us on Tuesday about how it happened and what’s next. She literally moved me to tears with her passion and intelligence,  I got to talk to her one-on-one afterwards. She’s positioned to be a spokesperson for GenY and I learned a lot from our short conversation.

There was a recurring theme in all the talks. That theme was “Now is Our Time” Bank Transfer Day was ‘the beginning’ of getting the public to know who credit unions are. Now is our time to ride the wave that has been created.

I wanted to take some time to write out all the major points of what I got from the colloquium, both to share with you, and to ingrain in my mind what got me so inspired.

Highlights:

  • We need to tell our “really compelling” stories.
  • Advertising that people “TRUST”
    • 90% trust Recommendations (we need to get these through our on line resources)
    • 75% trust Branded websites (we’ve got this)
    • 65% trust Email that they signed up for
  • “Consumption is often collective” The point here is that marketing to a ‘person’ is not as effective as marketing to the family or social unit our members are a part of. My take-away here is that we need to tailor our 2012 marketing to families  to really bring home the relationship concept.
  • Families are now being described as diconnected by distance, but more strongly connected through social media and the internet. Families are playing games via Xbox and similar things even when they aren’t in the same state, or country. Skype and FaceTime are bringing families closer.
  • As CU’s, we are being implored to “tell us your story”
  • People like to be rewarded for playing along. We need to find a way to create virtual badges when our members join us for different things on line.
  • The amount of personal interaction content is doubling each year. The internet is the new way people are connecting with family, friends and community, and it’s only getting better/easier/stronger.
  • We need to maximize our impact by
    • Developing emotionally rewarding concepts/marketing
    • Understand what it is our members actually believe about us
    • Make our messages highly unique to drive word of mouth
  • We need to get ourselves out of safe and rational messages and do something more edgy. This does -not– mean objectionable images or topics, but unusual or unexpected. Things that will stick in our members minds.
    • The Sunnydale Credit Union did a “Sunnydale is Love” campaign with shiny happy people. It flopped. When they did a big % off Loans promo, people flocked. Folks are innundated with shiny happy people ads. They are no longer making an impact.
  • It takes a lot of time and money to change someone’s mind.
  • Gen Y believes in local living. They value optimism and a ‘can do’ attitude. They want to be informed about how Credit Unions are a part of that. They also require of us “hassle free deals”
  • We need strong visual ‘cues’ that show we are about collaboration and relationships. Not just words.
  • Creative people become more creative when their work areas are covered with visual stimuli. Target the outcome.
  • We need to bring our brand persona to life.
  • We were told repeatedly that our story is unique, but our brand isn’t. This is for credit unions as a whole.
  • We need to know who our best cross-sellers are and learn all we can from them, and then share that information.
  • “Sneaking in fees” “learning about fees after the fact” and “punishing those that can afford it least with fees” are the main reasons why Bank Transfer Day worked.

Credit Union Digital Branding Colloquium

Digitalbranding_logo_image

Thank you for attending the Credit Union Digital Branding Colloquium hosted by the Filene Research Institute. Due to your generous ongoing support of Filene, you were invited to this colloquium to learn and strategize around your own digital brand and how credit unions are affected by online communities, and digital discussions.

Below are the presentations from the event:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.